Non-fungible token (NFT) assets and collectibles are starting to see sales decline and interest in NFTs is dropping as well. Additionally, itâ€™s being said that an â€œoversupply of NFTsâ€ may hurt the market, according to James Surowiecki the author of â€œThe Wisdom of Crowds.â€
- In 2021, non-fungible tokens have been all the rage and the industry has grown very popular during the last few months. Throughout March 7 through the 13th, 2021, the term â€œNFTâ€ searched on Google in the U.S. touched an all-time high reaching 100 on Google Trends (GT). Since then, queries for NFTs have slid in the United States to 92 the week after and 95 during the last week, according to todayâ€™s GT data.
- Worldwide queries for the term â€œNFTâ€ on Google went from a score of 100 to 95. The biggest subregion in the world searching for â€œNFTâ€ on Google stems from China. Uganda, Canada, Singapore, and the U.S. follow respectively.
- The entire term â€œnon-fungible tokenâ€ according to GT data, shows the score recently dropped from a 100 to an 89.
- The NFT marketplace NBA Top Shot saw a decline in sales and dropped to its lowest percentages so far, according to evaluate.market statistics on April 3, 2021.
- Sales numbers, sales in USD, and active market wallets for NFTs have also seen a decline in recent days according to todayâ€™s nonfungible.com data. 30-day stats show NFT sales dropped over 80% nonfungible.comâ€™s market history details.
- James Surowiecki, the author of â€œThe Wisdom of Crowdsâ€ has recently written about oversaturation in the NFT industry on March 31, 2021. Surowiecki explains in his article called â€œAn Oversupply of NFTs Is Going to Kill the Golden Goose,â€ that â€œthe signs of oversupply are easy to see.â€
- â€œWith NFTs, the risk of oversupply is especially acute, because there is no one in charge, and the barriers to issuance are so extraordinarily lowâ€” you can literally create a new NFT in a matter of minutes,â€ Surowieckiâ€™s editorial explains. â€œAnd, unlike comic books or baseball cards, NFTs donâ€™t fall apart or get discarded. In other words, the only thing we really know about NFTs is that there will be more of them a month from now than there are today.â€
What do you think about the decline in NFT sales and interest and the risks of oversupply? Let us know what you think about this subject in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: This article is for informational purposes only. It is not a direct offer or solicitation of an offer to buy or sell, or a recommendation or endorsement of any products, services, or companies. Bitcoin.com does not provide investment, tax, legal, or accounting advice. Neither the company nor the author is responsible, directly or indirectly, for any damage or loss caused or alleged to be caused by or in connection with the use of or reliance on any content, goods or services mentioned in this article.